September has started and this means that I am about 6 months into my journey through decade three. While I am trying to spend more time living in the moment, I also believe that setting goals is a great way to keep you moving forward. There are several important things I am trying to accomplish before I hit 31.
- Get this blogging thing down – I am working on this one right now. The more I write, the easier it is to share things and find my voice. My goal is to post a couple of times a week. I am also reading a lot of blogs trying to figure out what makes a blog I want to read. Bloggers, feel free to send suggestions on how to improve!
- Run a marathon – I really love running and I might be slow, but I go. A marathon has been on my list for a while, but I think this is the year I will actually do it. I have begun training for the Walt Disney World Marathon in January, but haven’t officially signed up.
- Officially become ABD (all but dissertation) – This might be the hardest one on my list, because I am having a hard time getting motivated to work on anything academic right now. I left my PhD program after completing my coursework, but I still need to finish a research paper before I am ABD. After that, it is just the dissertation.
- Establish an emergency fund – Living in two different places had an effect on our wallet as well as our emotions. We spent more money than we anticipated while I was in school. We did not take on a ton of debt, but we did not put much into savings either. Now we are in the same place, so it is time to get our act together and stash some cash in our emergency fund.
- Make some friends in my new town – I know this sounds sad, but I don’t really have any friends here. Since moving I have spent most of my free time with my husband and that has been wonderful, but it would be nice to have a female friend to talk about girly things with from time to time.
Yikes. Looking at this list, I have a lot of work to do in the next few months. Check back to see how things are going.